Monday 5 January 2015

Running Gear | Asics GT-3000 2


This Christmas I was recommended the book Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall. As the Kindle app icon whirled through the download, I started thinking of that age-old debate as to whether or not running is actually good for you.

While there's no argument that running doesn't aid your cardiovascular capacity, while burning calorie after calorie, the damage that can be caused by the high impact nature of running is frequently cited as a reason not to run.

As strange as it sounds, I enjoy running too much to care. My knees still work, and after a run, I don't ache anymore than after football, rowing, climbing, or the gym, so I'll carry on for now.

Perhaps it's my trainers that help.

I was always told never to skimp on decent running shoes.


Okay, the person who said that was trying to sell me a pair. He does a lot of running though, so I trust his judgement. Besides, running definitely is a high impact activity, there's no escaping that. Shoes that cushion, support, and don't peel your toenails off can only be a good thing.

Everyone I speak to has their own preference for running shoes, discovered either through trial and error or via a gait analysis. This preference usually extends to a brand, as well as a style. For me, that's Asics and in particular the GT-3000 range (formerly the GT-3030 range).


I won't go into the technical details of how, why, or what makes this trainer my favourite - mainly, as I don't understand them. Instead, I'll point you in the direction of this piece from Runner's Forum and simply say that these are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever worn, supporting my feet for every mile I've run in the last year, and still feeling as good as new.

Pictures: Asics website.

Like running? Check out my piece on running in London or my adventures at Tough Mudder 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment